Article I: Name
The name of the organization will be the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters.
Article II: Objective
The East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters will serve as the executive organization for all academic, athletic, and music parent organizations in the East Muskingum Local School District. Each individual organization will have its own constitution and by-laws. Each parent organization will elect its own officers at a time to be determined by that organization. Each organization will be responsible for maintaining, reporting and storing records in a manner as determined by the executive organization. The East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters will be responsible for maintaining the tax exempt status (501 (c) 3) and making all necessary filings to maintain that status. The East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters will be responsible for providing a place to store all records pertaining to each underlying parent organization. The East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters will oversee and coordinate all fund raising events in order to avoid duplication. The East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters will set standards as necessary for accounting and book keeping for the underlying groups.
Article III: Structure and Responsibilities
The East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters board will be comprised of:
· Vice President
· Athletic Director
· Academic Advisor
The East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters executive organization will be comprised of the board and Treasurers or designee from each parent organization.
Each member shall have one (1) vote.
The responsibilities of the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters will be:
· To maintain an indemnity bond for the officers in the event the school district does not provide such coverage.
· To maintain a current Liability Policy for all officers in the event that the district does not provide such coverage.
· To annually certify to the Athletic Director that the Indemnity Bond and the Liability Policy has been renewed in the event that the district does not provide such coverage.
· To make available any federal, state, or local tax ID numbers, exemption status, and any other resources necessary.
· To pay any expenses related to any required tax filings. To maintain and pay for an accounting program and to see that all tax forms are properly filed.
· To audit the books of sub groups as needed.
· To maintain a bank account to be used for the payment of said insurance policies and as a source for emergency funds* available to any member/ organization.
· To store all records and receipts for each underlying group at the end of each accounting year.
· To compile and report the fundraising results to the public on an annual basis.
· To oversee and coordinate all fund raising events in order to avoid duplication.
· To set standards as necessary for accounting, book keeping, and purchasing of the underlying groups.
*All requests for Emergency Funds must be made in writing to be considered by the officers of the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters. The maximum amount of each request is $1,000.00. The request must include the total amount of requested and a re-payment plan. There will no interest charged for these requests. All requests must be fully repaid by the end of the current school year or must be petitioned to be extended. Under no circumstances will repayment take more than the following school years’ conclusion.
Article IV: Officers
The elected officers of the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters will consist of the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The appointed representatives from the school district shall be the Athletic Director and the Academic Advisor.
The officers should be comprised of adults that are not parents, coaches, or employees of the East Muskingum School District.
Each of the officers will serve for a term of 2 years and will receive no monetary compensation. The 2 year terms will be rotated as follows. The President and Secretary positions will be elected in the even years and the Vice-President and the Treasurer in the odd years.
Should a position become vacant the vacated position may be filled by the remaining board members and the Athletic Director or Academic Advisor. Final confirmation will be determined by the rest of the members at the next regular scheduled meeting.
The election of officers will be held at the spring meeting in May of each year. Meetings will be conducted the third (3rd) Sunday at 7:00 P.M. in the John Glenn High School Cafeteria if available.
The meeting months are as follows: May, August, October, and February.
All treasurers will be responsible for having all accounting updated and completed prior to the February meeting.
Article V: Duties of the Officers
A. President: The President will conduct all meetings and appoint all committees. He (she) will serve as an ex-officio member on all committees.
B. Vice-President: The Vice-President will serve in the absence of the President assuming all duties thereof.
C. Secretary: The Secretary will keep all and maintain the minutes for all meetings of the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters and report those minutes at the next scheduled meeting. The secretary will have a file of correspondence and shall inform its members of its contents at each meeting when so directed by the presiding officer. (All minutes will be duplicated and such duplicate will be given to the President to maintain as back-up copies.) Such a correspondence file shall be passed from the incumbent to the newly elected secretary within 15 days that position is vacated.
D. Treasures: The Treasurer will keep, maintain and review all financial statements submitted to the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters from each of the parent organizations before submitting them to the Athletic Director and Academic Advisor. The Treasurer will maintain a file of reports and shall inform its members of its contents at each meeting when so directed by the presiding officer. The Treasurer or a board-appointed designee will be responsible for tax filings. The Treasurer will maintain the financial account(s) used by the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters. There will be two signatures required on all checks disbursed. The Treasurer will inform the officers, Athletic Director and Academic Advisor if any of the Parent Organizations is operating in the “RED” or have not produced a financial report as directed.
Article VI: Responsibilities of Parent Organizations
Each Parent Organization or Booster Group shall elect or appoint their officers annually and appoint a Representative to the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters whose duties are: 1) to represent the individual parent organization by voting on all issues before the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters, and 2) to be the communication liaison between the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters and the Individual Parent Organizations.
Each Parent Organization shall:
· Submit a list of officers, including names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses, to the Athletic Director of the Academic Advisor. They in turn will provide that information to the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters Secretary and Treasurer.
· Provide an annual financial report to the Treasurer of the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters no later than the February meeting for the prior year ending December 31.
· Pay a $30.00 annual contribution to the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters by the August meeting of each year for the coming year’s expenses. These fees may be increased by the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters as needed to cover any necessary expenses.
· Provide an approved Constitution and by-laws, electronically, to the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters to be kept on file.
· Appoint a representative to the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters. This usually is the Treasurer to be able to report the financial status of each organization.
· All cancelled checks, bank statements, and receipts must be placed in storage at the end of the year with the Athletic Director in his office.
· Checks form the parent organizations’ accounts require (2) two signatures of the four (4) officers. COACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE ONE OF THE SIGNATURES!
· Financial year will run from January 1st to December 31st each year. All financial reports turned into the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters must reflect this timing.
· The East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters officers, Athletic Director, or Academic Advisor will reserve the right to inspect or audit the financial records of any parent organization at any time.
· All parent organizations will turn over all equipment, uniforms, buildings, and etc. upon purchase (in value over $1,000) along with a detailed inventory to the school district as needed but no later than the end of each year. Each parent organization is required to keep records of all purchased and donations.
· The East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters board has the authority to SUSPEND ANY AND ALL fundraising activities of the Parent Organizations/Booster Groups for failing to turn in a Financial Report by the February Meeting or refusing to submit a Financial Audit.
Article VII: Meetings
Meetings will be held at least four (4) times per year at 7:00 P.M. in the JGHS cafeteria.
Election of Officers will be held at the May meeting each year.
All information passed along at the meetings will be the responsibility of that parent organization’s representative to get the correct information to each organization in a timely manner.
Article VIII: Amendment of Constitution
The Constitution may be amended at any regular meeting that has one more than 50% of the total organizations present. The proposed amendment must be submitted in writing prior to the meeting, with the consent of the officers and Athletic Director.
Amendments require a simple majority for passage.
Amendments may be revised by the Athletic Director, Academic Advisor, or the East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters officers without voting if such Amendment is to keep organizations with East Muskingum School Board requirement or State of Ohio requirements.
Article IX: Executive Board Meetings
An Executive Board Meeting may be called as needed to resolve issues as they arise. An Executive Board Meeting may be called by any of the Officers, Athletic Director, or any East Muskingum School Board Member or its official.
Require all treasurers to attend quarterly meetings
In their absence the highest officer available is require to attend quarterly meeting
The purpose here:
· Is to see that tax exempt status is maintained
· That tax fillings are done
· That there is accountability for officers and funds
· That fund raisers are coordinated
· That all groups are operating by the same rules and guidelines
· That there would be consistency from year to year
· That all groups report and account for their activities so that records can be centralized and computerized since officers and coaches change over time
· To maintain a list of officers and contact information in a single place
Amendment I: Individual Student Fund Raisers
We believe that it is our school’s responsibility to teach students responsibility, initiative, character, and self-sufficiency as well as the benefits and reward that comes with hard work. In an effort to teach meaningful life lessons we feel that booster groups should initiate no more than two fund raisers dedicated to funding educational trips and/or educational experiences from which individual students can gain credit to the cost of their trip or experience. The maximum amount that can be credited to the account will be determined as follows: The sum of the prior year funds raised divided by the number of current year students attending the trip or experience multiplied by 50%. In the event a student cannot participate, the funds become the property of that booster group’s general fund to be used for the general good of the group. Any money earned in excess of the amount determined by the formula will become a part of that booster group’s general fund. A student would be permitted to participate in multiple groups.
Amendment II: Crowdfunding
East Muskingum Umbrella Boosters do not support Crowdfunding initiatives at this time. The group agreed that booster groups may seek individuals to donate funds directly to their individual treasury accounts.
Revised-October 9, 2017
Prior Revisions: October 9, 2016
February 17, 2013
October 22, 2010
May 18, 2008
September 7, 2008